The Narrows

 The Narrows


Nene Davies


The Narrows by Nene Davies


Reviewed by Helen


When I was asked to read this one I jumped at the chance, I loved the sound of it, but life got in the way and I couldn’t get to it as soon as I wanted, although when I did pick it up, it was a book I didn’t want to put down, this is the first book of Nene Davies that I have read but it won’t be the last. I hope that you pick this one up and journey back to the 1960’s and London there were the Beatles miniskirts and all sorts of things going on.

The Narrows is a story about twin brothers and their wives Edward and Eric and Vera and Karen, it is the 1960’s and there are lots of changes happening, these four are the best of friends Edward and Eric work together and they live close in The Narrows. Edward and Vera have 6 year old twin boys and Eric and Karen remain childless. Karen is desperate to have children and Vera is her best friend and they decide with some help to make Karen a mother never realizing what changes this decision would make.

Later in the book we turn to present day London and we meet Cathy and Andrew, they are cousins, Cathy is daughter to Edward and Andrew son to Eric, Cathy has been living in America since she was a young girl and is now asked to return to London for the reading of a will. This leads to uncovering secrets from the 1960’s and there is a lot to uncover.

This is a beautifully written story, fast paced, a real page turner. It is emotional and heart wrenching at times as well, as we get to know all of the characters and why they do the things they do, I really enjoyed this one and highly recommend it Nene has taken on a lot of issues about woman living in the 1960’s and done it with heartfelt emotion, yes there were tears and lots of different emotions from me as I read this one, a really great story.

Thank you MS Davies for my copy to read I thoroughly enjoyed it.


5 stars

Published September 1st 2020 by Hammer and Tongs Publishing