In The Valley of Blue Gums

In The Valley of Blue Gums

J H Fletcher

In The Valley Of Blue Gums by J.H. Fletcher

Reviewed by Helen
J H Fletcher is a new to me author, I had read a lot about this book, great reviews so I thought I might like this one and wow can I say what a book this is, one that grabbed me from the start and pulled me into a dual time line travelling from early days Malaya to worn torn Vietnam tragedy in America and a beautiful vineyard in Tasmania and one that I highly recommend.

We get to know a young Thea Anderson when she is living in Malaya with her parents on a tin farm she is a bright child and eager to learn but life can be hard at times and fleeing the country with Japanese soldiers after her and her mother is something that will stay with her for ever. As the years go by Thea studies to become a journalist and takes up a position with a big newspaper in Australia and becomes a foreign correspondent firstly covering the assignation of President Kennedy in The States and then spends some very dangerous years in Vietnam during the war, but really makes a name for herself with the Americans and gets herself into some dangerous situations to cover stories that she knows need to be highlighted.

Eventually Thea returns to the man she loves in Tasmania Peter Torrance marries him and starts writing books that bring to life the world she lived in while working as a correspondent, and life settles down for her a little, she becomes a mother and continues to write, I loved getting to know Thea and her family J H Fletcher has bought these characters to life on the pages I felt like I was with Thea every step of her journey, I loved her strength and courage that she showed throughout everything that had happened to her.

This is a fast paced story that is beautifully written, the descriptions are fabulous, the characters so real and alive this is a story that should not be missed, it is poignant that had me turning the pages, it is one that will stay with me for a long time to come.

5/5 stars for a fabulous story


Published May 21st 2018 by MIRA