House of Wishes

House of Wishes

Jenn J McLeod

House of Wishes by Jenn J. McLeod

Reviewed by Helen

This is one of those stories that will draw you in, it is compelling and moving with characters who are strong, caring and loving, set in two timelines 1974 and 2014, I savoured every word, it is a story of love, heart-break and secrets set around Dandelion House and it starts in 1974 with two young teenagers and a bond they formed, then we meet Beth who has a task that must be filled, this one is a must read.

In 2014 Beth has just lost her mother, they have been very close, but when her mother leaves instructions for her ashes to be scattered in the small town cemetery in Calingarry Crossing, confused by this request, Beth sets out to discover the reasoning behind the request, this opens a Pandora’s Box of secrets that pull at Beth’s emotions as she learns the truth and finds so many people who help her along the way.

Tom Dawson is a local who has a wealth of knowledge about the local area and people, when he steps in and helps Beth he also learns some things that he had not known but he also then needs to decide if he should tell her, while trying to keep his heart intact.

I loved this story from page one, it was so hard to put down, it is hard for me to describe how I felt reading this one, there are so many emotions, so many issues that have been treated with honesty and empathy, it shows the strength that woman have when the going gets tough but it shows the love that people have when needed. This is a book that I highly recommend and I am not sure if I have done it justice I didn’t want to give too much away, but I loved the characters, they are so real and I bow down to you MS McLeod this was fabulous and I thank you, this one is going to stay with me for a long time.

5 stars


Expected publication: November 19th 2019 by Wild Myrtle Press