Digging Up Dirt

 Digging Up Dirt

Pamela Hart



Reviewed by Helen


I am a big fan of Pamela Hart’s stories and this one is a little different from what I have read before, a cozy mystery and I was so excited to read it and I was not disappointed at all a renovation, bones found, a murder, a who dun it that I did not guess till the very end, this one had me turning the pages.

Poppy McGowan works for ABC TV researching children’s shows and she loves it she has previously worked for the museum and is thrilled to have bought a house in the inner suburbs of Sydney and the renovations have begun, but when bones are discovered under the house Poppy wants to make sure they are not human before calling the police and calls in a favour from her friend Annie who works at the museum for help.

Dr Julieanne Weaver arrives which does not make Poppy happy they have worked together before and friends they are not, enemies would be more like it, she announces that they are the bones of a rare breed of sheep kept during very early settlement and slaps a heritage order on the property and starts an archaeological dig bringing in another archaeologist Dr Tol Lang, who happens to be Dr Weaver’s boyfriend.

Life is turned upside down for Poppy when Julieanne’s body is found at the dig site and she and Tol become number one suspects but being the researcher she is Poppy does not give up searching for the killer and there are a lot of people it could be when they get to the bottom of Julieanne’s life and what she has been doing including political parties connected to a church. Poppy finds herself doing a current affairs spots for the ABC not what she wanted.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it is witty, entertaining and there are lots of twists that I didn’t see coming, I loved Poppy and her family they are all wonderful characters and I think that Pamela Hart has hit the spot with her first cozy mystery and I do look forward to more Poppy stories, I do highly recommend this story to anyone who enjoys a great read, one that will have you thinking.

My thanks to Harlequin Mira for my ARC to read and review

5 stars
Expected publication: June 2nd 2021 by HQ Fiction