The Fancies

 The Fancies

Kim Lock



Reviewed by Helen


I have had this on my TBR pile for way too long and I am so glad I finally picked it up, I did very much enjoy this one, it is witty, funny and moving as Abigail Fancy arrives back in her hometown, Pot Kingerton after swearing she would never return twenty four years ago, but here she is at thirty nine and back in the town that seems to be run by The Fancies.

A small cray fishing and farming town, close knit residents where everyone knows everything or do they really know everything it seems to me that the town lives on the old Chinese whispers game, Abigail has just been released from jail for the second time and finds herself in need of a place to stay and returning to her home is her only option, is it time to let the truth be known about what really happened twenty four years ago?

The story is told in three narratives, Abigail, Old Dick (Abagail’s Grandfather) and Them, being the residents including Abigail’s parents, Nell and Young Dick, a lot happened while Abigail was a teenager and there are many residents who are not impressed she is back considering her timing on the day a human bone is found washed up and the beach some are convinced it is linked to Abigail, will all the answers come out the secrets reveled and what will happen to Abigail?

I loved Kim Lock’s The Other Side of Beautiful and I can highly recommend this one as well, I loved Old Dick he made me laugh and I really felt for Abigail this one kept me turning the pages to get all of the answers.

My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my copy to read and review.

4 stars
April 5, 2023 by HQ Fiction